I have been writing PHP applications for a few years and have picked up experience in a wide range of technologies and systems. The following tag cloud describes my experience in different technologies and was made by doing an analysis of the articles on #! code (www.hashbangcode.com), which is a coding site that I run.
I am fully competent in both Linux and Windows.
Technical Web Developer, ReadingRoom, Manchester
June 2009 to Present
Developed websites from a detailed specifications document to a high standard using PHP. Each new project is challenge and I am always learning about new technologies and systems.
- Brought my experience with web based open source software solutions to both the development and specification of websites.
- Provided training, help and support to other developers within the company. This included a period of remote training for the Australian office.
- Introduced Drupal best practice development and modules that enforced this.
- Created a map plotting tool that utilised OS maps for a walking site.
- Introduced a number of concepts, including ‘Link Tuesday’, into the company to get all programmers involved in the Reading Room community.
- Wrote about web development for the company newsletter.
Lead Developer, SEO, Just Search, Adlington, Cheshire
April 2009 to June 2009
- Managed the design and development side of the department and undertook bespoke development projects.
- Restructured the quoting and analysis process for both internal and external development projects so that projects were fully specified, correctly developed and completed on time.
- Researched into different web based applications and reported on their viability and ease of customisation for clients.
Lead Developer, Research and Development, Just Search, Adlington, Cheshire
January 2008 to April 2009
- Lead a team of programmers, designers and search engine optimisation specialists to provide products to clients and to keep the company at the forefront of internet marketing strategies.
- Developed an automated SEO analysis tool using PHP and AJAX to streamline quoting and sales practices.
- Created a usability report product and trained other employees in how to conduct studies.
- Introduced standard requirements gathering and quoting practices for large programming projects and implemented agile project management practices to complement the requirements gathering standards.
- Improved the online reputation of Just Search through a social media reputation management strategy.
- Headed the Research and Development committee, consisting of a team of people from all over the company. The goal to discuss ideas and suggestions to improve the company and the service that it provides.
- Created the Just Search Labs blog to complement the search engine optimisation blog on the Just Search site.
- Acted as technical support for other departments including server administration and maintenence.
- Updated and maintained Just Search websites which use a combination of bespoke code and WordPress.
- Worked closely with a company called Click Torch to implement their Profiler software onto websites. These were usually online shopping carts that required special modules to be built.
- Represented the company at Ad:Tech 2008 and organised a company trip to PHPNW08.
Programmer, Research and Development, Just Search, Adlington, Cheshire
August 2007 to January 2008
Moved to the newly created Research and Development department in order to be the technical side.
- Created both public and internal tools to help with search engine optimisation analysis of websites.
- Created an Intranet system that allows a central communication point for all employees.
- Wrote SEO reports and devised strategies for clients.
- Was awarded the title Programmer of the Year 2007 within the GetUpdated group (the parent company of Just Search).
SEO Programmer, SEO, Just Search, Adlington, Cheshire
October 2006 to August 2007
My main role here was taking on client websites to improve them so that they were search engine friendly.
- Contributed to the Just Search SEO blog.
- Set up the SEO tools section on the Just Search site and created tools to look at different aspects of SEO.
Social Services, IT Systems Section, Aberaeron, Wales
June 2004 to October 2006
Skills: SQL, VBA, Microsoft Access
I was employed with social services as an administration support and development worker, under the administration and development officer. My main task was to provide user support and training for the database systems within the social services department.
- Develop bespoke databases for different departments using Microsoft Access including an automated letter generator.
- Created a website for the Ceredigion Youth Offending Team. The site is fully XHTML and CSS compliant and passes level 2 of the Web Accessibility Initiative. As the site needed to be bilingual in Welsh and English I created a language changing system using PHP.
- Provide 1st line support for all of the websites and database systems that we managed. This included managing a phpBB forum where we
- displayed problems with any systems, and allowed users to post their own comments and suggestions.
- Created a test harness so that future versions of a large database system were properly tested before allowing them to become live.
- Organised and ran a set of training programs for bespoke computer systems as well as Microsoft Office products. This included the creation of training materials that accompanied the sessions.
Social Services, IT Systems Section, Aberaeron, Wales
March 2004 to June 2004
Temporary contract for 4 months to help prepare for a database migration. I had to make sure that any data on the old database was of a quality to enable migration over to the new database. I was also responsible for inputting staff details onto the new system ready for a full training programme.
Social Services, North Ceredigion Adult Team, Aberystwyth, Wales
July 2003 to March 2004
Worked with the adult social work team as a receptionist. I was required to take all incoming calls and redirect them to the appropriate person, or to take messages. Due to the delicate nature of some of the information I was dealing with I was also required to be kind and courteous at all times and respect the clients confidentiality.
Tissue Science Laboratories, Winsford, Cheshire
November 2000 to August 2002
Employed as a Quality Control Technician for the inspection of collagen surgical implants and as a computer support technician. Followed strict working practices and inspection protocols with the collagen. Helped with the development and validation of a voice activated computer system used for all parts of the process.
November 2004 – Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Administration
September 2005 – GOSS Interactive, Controlsite CMS Administration
University of Wales Aberystwyth
September 2002 to July 2003
MSc Computer Science
South Cheshire College, Crewe
February 2002 to May 2002
City and Guilds of London Institute Introduction To Visual Basic 6
University of Wales, Aberystwyth
September 1997 to June 2000
BSc Microbiology 2:2
South Cheshire College, Crewe
September 1995 to June 1997
GCSE Maths C
GNVQ Advanced Science Merit
Malbank School, Nantwich
September 1992 to June 1995
9 GCSE’s B – D including Maths and English
Interests and Activities
I currently live in Congleton with my my partner and son.
In my spare time I run a coding site called #! code (www.hashbangcode.com) which has a Google Page Rank of 4 and currently gets about 3-4 thousand visits a week. All of the articles on the site are currently written by me and are usually created when I find a solution to a problem or create something interesting that I think other people might find useful.
I have created a plugin for WordPress called Social Media Page that is used to display links to social media profiles. This has had over 25,000 downloads since November 2008.
I am also a member the user groups PHP North West (PHPNW), North West Drupal User Group (NWDUG) and Manchester WordPress User Group (MWUG). All of these groups meet up once a month in Manchester and I always try to attend in order to both learn new things and to give something back to the community.
I am involved in the management of the NWDUG user group and the running of the community website. The NWDUG website was built as a collaboration effort by several members of the group using github as a code repository. My github profile is located at http://www.github.com/philipnorton42 where I also keep some of my own coding projects.
Lots of PHP and web related conferences are held in Manchester so I always try to attend them whenever possible.
“Philip is quite simply exceptional, he will go far beyond what would be expected of him in the work enviroment. His programming skills and logical mind are second to none. I’ve worked with phil for a number of years and he has never given any reason to doubt him.”
- October 7, 2008 Neil Walker , Chief Technical Officer , Just Search Ltd managed Philip at Just Search Ltd
- July 9, 2008 Tino Triste , SEO Programmer , Just Search Ltd worked directly with Philip at Just Search Ltd
“Philip is capable of taking an idea or vision, developing it to a brief and seeing it through to completion. Through his R&D programming team, he has managed projects and overseen the UAT, with internal and external parties. Highly recommend his programming skills.”
- July 8, 2008 Lianne Wilkinson , PPC Account Manager , Just Search worked with Philip at Just Search Ltd
“Philip has the great ability as a programmer to turn ideas into reality with a greater skill than anyone I have come across in my working career. Its the greatest skill of any programmer to have in my opinion and luckily for Just Search and myself, Philip has it. Phil and I work together as a team on all projects and his calmness and planning is essential to the success of the team. On top of being an excellent programmer, Phil has great SEO credentials and is an expert in this field.”
- October 14, 2007 James Welch , Head of Research and Development , Just Search managed Philip at Just Search Ltd
“One of the best programmers I’ve ever seen. If he doesn’t know a language he’ll research it until he does. Picks new languages up so fast. His speed of learning is staggering.”
- September 17, 2007 Darren Jamieson , SEO Programmer , Just Search worked directly with Philip at Just Search Ltd
Given on request.